The health benefits of participating in aquatic sports such as swimming, water polo and synchro at any level are well documented. Swimming works your whole body, improving cardiovascular conditioning, muscle strength, endurance, posture, and flexibility all at the same time. Using aquatic exercise to relieve pain or strengthen weakened muscles is highly recommended by several healthcare professionals and can alleviate tension caused by every day stress.
Besides the many health benefits associated with swimming, living on a small island where families spend many days lounging on the beach and playing in the ocean, the necessity to be comfortable and self sufficient in the water is vitally important. With the variety of learn-to-swim programmes offered at the Aquatic Centre, members are sure to find a programme to match their specific needs. Specific club information can be found here.
The Barbados Aquatic Centre offers annual membership packages for club and non-club members alike, as well as discounted rates for families and BARP members. Payment plans are also available and members should contact the office for further details.
- Full membership entitles you to use of the Facility at the prescribed times outlined in the lane allocation schedule posted on the notice board at the entrance to the Aquatic Centre.
- Off peak membership entitles you to the use of the pool from 6:30 PM weekdays, Saturdays from 10:00 AM to 8:30 PM and Sundays from 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM. Please consult lane allocation schedule.
- All categories of membership are for a period of 12 months from January to December.
- Membership dues may be paid quarterly or half yearly for your convenience.
- All categories of membership are due and payable in advance on 1st day of the month in which your chosen cycle has begun (ie. quarterly, half yearly or annually).
- Membership dues are waived only through prolonged sickness or change of residency. In both instances the absence must extend beyond 6 months to be considered.
- Should there be a change in the status of your membership you are required to inform the Management of the Aquatic Centre immediately in writing.
- Failure to inform the Office in advance of prolonged absences from the pool as described in Rule 6 you will be required to pay the outstanding membership dues before resuming normal membership.
- To resume normal membership a penalty of $50.00 must be paid.
- Persons whose membership dues are in arrears or are not in good standing with their National Federation will not be allowed to use the facilities, participate in competitions at the Aquatic Centre nor receive sanction from The National Federation to represent their club or Barbados in a competition at home or abroad. FINA RULE G.R.
- Club training outside of regular pool hours is the DIRECT RESPONSIBILITY of the Club Coach with the appropriate notification to the office.
- Swimmers (who are members) wishing to swim laps outside of their club allocations must do so during the ‘un-restricted’ allocation swimming times or after 6:30 PM as outlined above. All Members must register at the front desk from 3:00 PM on week days and Saturdays from 9:00 AM before proceeding to use the facility.
- Non-members may use the pool after 6:30 PM in the lanes designated as public lanes. Non-Members are required to pay $20.00 per hour for the use of the Facility. This fee must be paid at the front desk before proceeding to use the facility.
- Children should be collected as soon as possible after their swim activity. The Aquatic Centre staff is not responsible for looking after children left on the premises for extended periods.
- The Aquatic Centre is not responsible for any loss of property or valuables left in the changing room.
- Parents &/Guardians are liable for any damages to property incurred by their children or wards and will receive notification from the Office detailing the incident and the cost of repairs and or replacement.
- The Aquatic Centre is a NO SMOKING AREA.